Exemplory instance of comparison essay the theory is that of literature: the difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is a particular kind of art that can help to comprehend the present-day history and to know the way the key tendencies of social development in past times were created.
Write about formation of designs at the start of essay
The aesthetics of classicism, which developed in Western European culture during the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules as well as the principles of plot construction, reflecting the idea of orderliness and excellence associated with the universe, nature and culture.
The “sensitive” literature of sentimentalism that emerged in the last half regarding the eighteenth century was designed to show and educate on examples and images that cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided by the proven fact that all evil can be overcome.
Inside our literature up to the start of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing each other and pursuing exactly the same goal: in order to make society perfect, by affirming the rational principles of morality together with rules of human behavior. Methods to achieve this goal when you look at the philosophy of classicism had been understood to be the assertion associated with supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and were based on a clear division of artistic designs and genres. The theorists of classicism paid unique attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies where the foundation regarding the plot happens to be important historic events, and actors – the gods and strongest of this globe, demanded a lofty poetic composition, ruled spatial turns. They certainly were caused by the “high” genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered pictures could only be contained in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed the definition of “low” genres. Obligatory observance regarding the unity of the time, place, action and guidelines of constructing tragedy and drama with exposure, zygote, growth of action, culmination and resolution limited the possibility of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized the inviolability of order, the connection of cause and impact, quality expression of the primary idea of the task. Sentimentalism allowed more freely to utilize the way of artistic expression. Attention to household details, a description of psychological experiences, the image regarding the internal realm of man and their closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel notes appear in the literary works. The introduction of sentimentalism greatly expanded the number of choices of artistic prose and caused it to be more democratic: the interest of both writers and visitors had been the fate of a typical individual, clear, near, causing interest and compassion.
To conclude of essay give brief comparison of designs
Therefore, the difference between classicism and sentimentalism is really as follows:
- The topic of the image in the works of classicism are important, significant events that determine the fate of somebody who is obliged to obey the founded order as well as the determined course of events.
- In the middle of attention of writers – sentimentalists – the inner realm of heroes, effective at deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is a literary trend when the foundation associated with artistic technique could be the division of works into “high”, “medium” and “low” genres.
- Sentimentalism won’t have such a division, because its task is always to educate the checking papers senses, using a wide range of visual method for this purpose.
- The primary genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic story, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres attribute of sentimentalism are a novel, letters, diaries, travel records.
- Classicalism argued educational a few ideas on the basis of the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner world of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They believed that educating a single individual, you are able to enhance the whole society.